- The 2020 election is upon us! Check out the Time for Kids article below to learn more about the first, but ‘unruly,’ debate between candidates Joe Biden and President Donald Trump.
- Have you ever found yourself in the middle of a book, unsure of what to look for or how to comprehend it? No fear, ‘close reading’ bookmarks are here! Print and cut the bookmark below and stick it in your next book to provide helpful reading hints. Don’t have a printer? Use this information to create your own! Happy reading!
- Don’t like rhyming or coming up with your own words in a poem? Found poetry may be the perfect creative outlet for you! Follow the instructions below to get your creative juices flowing and try your hand at creating a found poem, using the many different artistic ways of doing so.
- Ever wonder why we’re advised to wash our hands for at least 20 seconds, especially during COVID-19? Watch STEM Like a Girl’s lesson on The Chemistry of Soap to find out the details behind this theory.
- The next time you top off your dinner with guacamole, think twice before you throw out the avocado pits! Follow the instructions below and sprout new curiosity with an ‘Avocado Tree!’
- The Chicano Humanities & Arts Council (CHAC) is celebrating Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) with a series of virtual events between October 10th-31st, which are free and open to the public. Check out the event list and link to sign up on CHAC Gallery website.
- As the veil between the realms of the living and the dead begin to disappear, spirits and monsters begin to populate our minds and the shadows. The question is, where to put them all? The solution, a Haunted House, of course!
- Coffee Filter Haunted Houses & Bats – https://artprojectsforkids.org/bat-painting/
- Spooky Haunted House for Kids – https://www.artisbasic.com/2019/10/spooky-haunted-house-art-project-for-kids.html
- Haunted Houses come in all shapes and sizes, but if you are looking for a step by step guide, here are a few tips! – https://artprojectsforkids.org/how-to-draw-a-haunted-house/
- October is here and the Halloween season has officially arrived! It is also the perfect time to make some spooktacular arts and crafts to decorate your home. These 20 mess-free, paint-free Halloween crafts will help get the whole family into the spirit!
- Not in the mood for Halloween just yet? Do you want to recycle all those toilet paper rolls and turn them into something adorable? It’s easy peasy! Follow these instructions to create your very own Paper Roll Fish.
- Who said cookies can’t be healthy?! Here is a way to make “apple cookies.” They are simple, easy, healthy and delicious, making them the perfect snack!
- Have you ever noticed the shadows created from the sun change depending on the time of day? Here is a fun sundial craft to to experiment with the shadows casted by the sun.
- All public colleges and universities in Colorado and several private institutions will waive application fees to allow students to apply for free on Tuesday, October 13th!
- Link for Free Application Day
- These difficult times can feel tough to navigate, but pausing to give gratitude can help to lift our spirits. Follow the attached ‘Gratitude Scavenger Hunt’ to identify things you are grateful for today.
- The next time you’re feeling stressed out, overwhelmed, or unsure, reach for a moment of calm awareness: a mindful S.N.A.C.K. Here’s how to do it:
- Needing a moment to clear your mind and simply breathe? Use the Breathing Pumpkin to inhale all the good vibes and exhale the negative.
HISPANIC HERITAGE MONTH:
- It’s National Hispanic Heritage Month! From September 15 – October 15, we have the chance to recognize Hispanic-Americans and their incredible contributions to our culture, and to create an environment where our members and their families feel welcomed and celebrated. Need some ideas? Here’s a huge list of lessons, crafts, books, songs and videos!
- Comcast’s celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month highlights the sentiment and spirit of echando pa’lante juntos (moving forward together), never taking a step back, and acknowledging and appreciating those who have paved the way for others. Our new “Fabric of America” Digital Flag Activation is an engaging online space where visitors can share their stories of strength, resilience and inspiration in their own voices. These personal stories are showcased via a web-based, 3D digital American flag, where participants can upload their stories and contribute to a living, breathing, and moving visual experience.
- All voices, each a soundwave, will become digital threads that form the fabric of this 3D American flag, which will serve as a tribute to the diversity of America and a visual representation of the individuals and families who are moving the country pa’lante and are contributing to the fabric of America. We invite you and your students to visit and participate in this special activation – listen to stories, and add your own voice!