- Join us as we read “The Friend Ship,” written by Kat Yeh and illustrated by Chuck Groenink. This magical story follows a lonely hedgehog in her quest to discover the ‘friend ship,’ which she imagines to be a boat full of friends. However, she finds that friendship is more than simply something you can see. How have you discovered friendship in your life? Let us know how you built relationships with your best friends in the comments!
- Have you heard that Kamala Harris has been chosen by Joe Biden as his vice-presidential running mate? Find out more about Kamala, the daughter of immigrants, by clicking the link below:
- Wemberly Worried by Kevin Henkes
Wemberly is a real worrier. Wemberly worries about everything! She especially worries about the first day of school and what will happen. This is a great story to read if you are worrying about your first day of school. Everyone has worries, and reading about Wemberly will help you see that your worries might be the ones other kids have about their first day of School. After listening to the story, click on the other link for more Wemberly fun.
- For the story click on this link: https://youtu.be/tkuXc0htNGk
- The activities are here, click on the link and download the file: https://doc-0o-5k-apps-viewer.googleusercontent.com/viewer/secure/pdf/78auej74l9un48iulgcla7f0fhlcrovu/i8t62vloh0ifgcm92hm9460rdfql5mu9/1597895775000/drive/04354956576108266254/ACFrOgC_FZppUsOvv58Z-anpaUsWsmE0Esv9a0e9uW-hZ3FwwuXd_aOU9Zc1nM62HWeU8CVG2_eWCXv2eMcKdErDq13lqbOyUqDGSpvVoh0dIiDb7WLmm3NrRoafpVRDMX8aTOHKJkhLgykSyP78?print=true&nonce=nqnni39t5tvsa&user=04354956576108266254&hash=nbhin0nbb49pe0up1kp7e3qskdph1n08
- Time for Kids teamed up with American Girl to bring us this awesome issue about six female athletes! You can learn more about Wilma Rudolph, Simone Biles, Misty Copeland, and other amazing female athletes that have made American history below. After reading this issue, think of some important qualities every athlete must have. Write them down and think about if you know anyone with these qualities. Take it one step further and write a short story about that person the way Time for Kids wrote about these athletes!
- Take a Walk on the Moon with DIY Moon Sand!
- Meet Denver Zoo staff and some of their favorite animals through these virtual animal demos! After watching the animal videos, “Think About It” with the grade specific questions they pose.
- It’s almost fall, time for back to school, changing leaves, and of course apples! That particular subject brings us to the famous French artist, Cezanne, and the activities related to his style of artwork. There’s nothing rotten with these apples! 🙂
- Paul Cezanne Still Life with Apples, with Heather Braun-Warowsky – YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jgs_9nf9HU
- Art For Small Hands: In the Style of Paul Cezanne – Includes art history, three art projects & materials list – http://www.artforsmallhands.com/2012/08/in-style-of-paul-cezanne.html
- Art Rocks! Grade 1: Marvelous Cezanne Paintings – http://elementary-art-rocks.blogspot.com/2012/11/grade-1-marvelous-cezanne-paintings.html
- Introduce youth Alexander Calder, an American sculptor and artist most famous for inventing mobile sculptures.
- Make your own Stabile, a stationary abstract sculpture – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvHeET6QOPw
- Calder Inspired Paper Sculptures – http://www.pinkstripeysocks.com/2015/05/calder-inspired-sculptures-kids-art-project.html
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: Learn cool ways to compost at home! Compost is organic material that can be added to soil to help plants grow. Food scraps and yard waste together currently make up more than 28 percent of what we throw away, and should be composted instead. Making compost keeps these materials out of landfills where they take up space and release methane, a potent greenhouse gas.
- Check out : https://www.epa.gov/recycle/composting-home to learn how to exactly turn a space at home into a compost area and do your part for our environment and world.
- During this pandemic time we are all sitting way too much throughout the day! Let’s move and get active and “Brush it Off” with this dance break from our H.Y.P.E. Breakin’ It Down series featuring Darryl DMC McDaniels and other top choreographers.
- Some of you may recognize Ms. Elena from last year when she visited our clubs to run Nature Club. Check out Ms. Elena’s video as she shows us how to make a small composter with items we have at home! You can also take a look at the list below of things you can and cannot put in a composter!
- Are you struggling with feeling stressed out? You are definitely not alone! Check out this resource describing what stress is, how it feels, what you can do to help combat stress, and next steps (if needed):
- Emotional Safety and Wellness are always important, but are especially important during this challenging time. Here are 6 Emotional Wellness Practices you can use with youth to support their emotional wellness!