- Shark Week is coming to the Discovery Channel starting August 9th and continuing through August 14th. There are a lot of fun facts and activities in the links below to get you ready to enjoy the programs included in Shark Week.
- Feeling down? Raise your spirits by making a vision board! Essentially, it’s a simple collage (or collection) of photos, or anything that makes you happy. Learn more and find instructions below!
- Corduroy, by Don Freeman, is a classic story of a bear who longs for a home. Ask a parent or guardian to help you print out some cute bear cards to do a fun Corduroy math activity together after listening to the story (details in the link):
- Take an AR quiz on this book at: https://hosted37.renlearn.com/2123879/
- The Masloppy Family is trying to get more organized by counting everything in their house. Try counting the things at your house! How many stuffed animals do you have? How many forks? How many shirts? What else can you count? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBiidntoWXY
- Journaling is a great way to express yourself and explore new ideas. Grab a piece of paper and something to write with and try one of these journal prompts!
- SPANISH: Escribir un articulo para un diario es una excelente manera de expresarse y explorar nuevas ideas. ¡Toma un pedazo de papel y algo para escribir y prueba con uno de estos mensajes para el diario!
- Me siento seguro cuando …
- ¿Cuándo te sientes orgulloso de ti mismo?
- Escribe sobre una persona que admiras. ¿Qué cualidades tienes en común con esta persona?
- I feel safe when…
- When do you feel proud of yourself?
- Write about a person you admire. What qualities do you have in common with this person?
- Natural disasters are sudden events that can cause major, widespread catastrophe. Learn how we can prepare for natural disasters early and limit the damage done. With your family, start creating a ‘Disaster Kit’ for your own home. In this video it will explain what you can put in the kit and try and think of other materials that your family would need during a devastating natural disaster.
- https://www.fuelingeducation.com/classroom-resources Go to the video titled: Sustainable Cities & Communities and complete the task above.
- Annie Sunbeam and Friends are protecting life below water! Check out this cool comic book to start to understand why we need to protect life below water, what we can do, and what will happen if we do not do so. This site can be changed to your language preference so you can easily navigate it. There are other cool comics on this site related to you and nature, so take time to read more than just one.
- Paper Boat Origami
- Take an African Safari
- Celebrate national ice cream month by making your own ice cream in a bag! Delicious, and perfect for our hot Denver summer. Also, did you know that ice cream is a compound? Once all of the ingredients are mixed together, they are chemically combined and cannot be easily separated! Find out more about the science behind ice cream (along with a recipe!) here:
- Create different math story problems with this activity. You’ll practice the different operations, as well as writing and solving word problems. You can play this by yourself or with a friend!
- Have you ever wanted to see what a pilot or astronaut sees when they are flying an aircraft or spaceship? Well, now is your chance to go virtually into the “eyes in the sky” and imagine you are the pilot, co-pilot or astronaut. The future is YOURS! Select your interest and from the selections, explore inside the aircraft or spacecraft, click through the collections, exhibits, and galleries. Let your mind wander into the possibilities of the future. Go explore!
- In honor of comet NEOWISE, follow along with Makoccino’s YouTube video, and learn step by step how to paint planets with watercolor!
- Let’s create your OWN Zentangle! What in the world is a Zentangle?
- SPANISH: ¡Creemos tu PROPIO Zentangle! ¿Qué es un Zentangle? * Consulta el archivo adjunto para obtener instrucciones adicionales.*
- Vision Boards – What are some of your dreams, goals, aspirations for the future as well as feelings and thoughts you are experiencing during this unprecedented time.
- Christmas in July! Wanted to just share a few links to my favorite X-mas in July crafts to do in person or virtually. The JeffCo Staff are currently planning to celebrate this tradition throughout next week.
- Grinch Slime!
- 12 Christmas in July Crafts
- With summer in full swing and the Colorado sun shining, it’s extremely important to stay hydrated! Many fruits and vegetables contain water (Cucumbers are 95% water by weight!), as well as vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants! Combine strawberries, grapes, cucumbers, citrus and other hydrating foods to add a flavorful health boost to your drinking water! Follow along with Chef Brian in his home kitchen as he shares a Clever Cucumber & Lime Hydration Hack!”
- Ever wonder what to do with your leftover kitchen scraps? Why not try making more food out of them!? It’s super easy and satisfying to re-grow your leftover veggie scraps and make extra food out of what was once trash!
- Interested in gardening but don’t know where to start? All you need is some dirt, seeds, and an egg carton to start your very own garden at home!
FOOD & ENTERTAINMENT:
- Christmas in July? Yep! During the last week of summer programming at JeffCo we typically celebrate a time honored tradition – Christmas In July! This year I convinced my grandma to help me with some easy and traditional holiday baking.
- “The Kid Should See This” site has tons of kid friendly videos for curious minds! The videos span a variety of areas: science, art, tech, space, animals, food, history, and more. Go to the website, search for your favorite category, and see what you can learn!
BACK TO SCHOOL RESOURCE:
- Broncos Back-To-School Bash Flyer – This event provides school supplies for students from K-12th grade on Saturday, July 25th, 2020 from 9:00-12:00 noon at Empower Field at Mile High Stadium! Please note, families are required to REGISTER IN ADVANCE!
SUMMER IN THE PARK PROGRAM IN NORTHEAST PARK HILL
- Join BGCMD at Skyland Park for free, outdoor fun throughout the month of July! Open to all kids and families, we’ll be offering programs ranging from yoga classes to outdoor games, to arts and crafts. Learn more and register at bgcmd.org/park.