- Oliver knows that he is destined to be a dancing circus elephant, but what will he do when he discovers that the circus already has enough elephants? Find out in the classic story “Oliver,” written by Syd Hoff. When you are finished with the video, we hope you click the link below to enjoy playing a fun memory matching game based on the book!
- Oliver Samantha Parsons.mp4
- Take an AR quiz on this book at: https://hosted37.renlearn.com/2123879/
- KINDNESS IS COOL!!! Below you will find some really great ways to be kind while being cool.
- Take the Pledge – get as many people as you can to sign the Pledge of Kindness.
- I Can Show Kindness – This activity is a great way to make sure you are doing at least one kind act every day.
- Kindness Bookmarks – Color the bookmarks and pass them out to family and friends.
- Kindness Coloring Pages – This is a collection of some really beautiful kindness pictures with amazing phrases. Color one or color them all, whatever you do, use your creativity and have fun! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dLekEwoBBSPXSuMto7SuqLaCE6-04Af1/view?usp=sharing
- Have you ever wondered why the dinosaurs went extinct? This fun activity will go over the extinction process and why some creatures no longer exist.
- Have you ever tried making a “found poem”? Grab some magazines, books, or newspapers and see how to make a found poem below!
- SPANISH: Avances: ¿Alguna vez has intentado hacer un “poema encontrado”? ¡Toma algunas revistas, libros o periódicos y mira cómo hacer un poema encontrado a continuación! Actividad: adjunta
- Join Brightly Storytime for their read aloud of Hair Love! While listening to this story, think about how Zuri and her family show love. How do you and your family show love? You can also check out the Oscar-winning short film based on this book below.
- FIELD TRIP ZOMBIES: It’s summer and for us at Boys & Girls Club and that usually means lots of field trips! While we can’t take the kids on any trips to the aquarium this summer, they can read about one in the graphic novel “Day of the Field Trip Zombies” on myON.com for 2nd-5th grade readers.
- You’re not alone if you have sat in class and wondered, “When am I ever going to use this math skill in real life?!” Well, check out the website below to learn more about how math is used in a wide variety of exciting careers, from an animator to a computer scientist. This site also includes a bunch of fun math tidbits: did you know that Michael Jordan started out as a math major in college?
- Join Bill Nye the Science Guy as he demonstrates why we should be wearing masks, and some of the science behind it!
- With the school year just around the corner, brush up on place value knowledge with this worksheet. If you don’t have dice at home use the link below for virtual ones!
- Are you looking for a way to encourage youth to express themselves through art? Participate in the #RadiateGoodVibes National Art Contest to help spread kindness and radiate good vibes. Contest is open to all youth ages 10-13! The winning Club(s) will receive $3,000 for their Club and a $500 Old Navy gift card for their youth artist.
- Log into https://myfuture.net/programs/At-Home-Activities/Torch-Clubs to participate!
- Flyer – https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JHve8ms8564YVIiFmeidY9yI0bX6NoW4
- Learn these 10 interesting facts about Shakespeare’s life and work, and you’ll sound like an expert in no time! https://www.folger.edu/10-ways-be-shakespeare-expert. Then “Try Your Hand” at the following activities:
- Create Your Own Shakespearean Compliments – https://www.folger.edu/sites/default/files/QuotesScripts_Compliments.pdf
- Use Shakespeare’s Creativity with Words to Create Your Own Short Story or Poem – https://www.folger.edu/sites/default/files/QuotesScripts_TryShakespeare.pdf
- Discover Shakespeare’s Stories – https://www.theschoolrun.com/11-of-the-best-ways-to-introduce-children-to-shakespeare
- See Animated Versions of Shakespeare Stories – Shakespeare: The Animated Tales was a BBC series of half-hour animations based on Shakespeare plays. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006v9mm/clips
- Shakespeare Printable Word Search Puzzle https://www.wordsearchaddict.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/shakespeare.pdf
- Are you looking for a fun new way to paint? Q-Tip Painting is fun and easy, only requires a few supplies, and you can make any design you choose!
- During this crazy, unprecedented time we all need to take time to reflect on our feelings, thoughts, and overall vibe of how we are doing. To really ‘check-in’ with ourselves and be able to look back on this time and reflect back on how we conquered this COVID era. Print or re-create this journal on paper so you can keep as a memento of this time we are currently going through.
- KORO PERSEVERES: It’s winter in Patagonia, food is getting scarce. Koro the Llama engages with Oti the pesky penguin in an epic fight over that last tasty berry. Check out this funny video for kids about perseverance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=51&v=SkVqJ1SGeL0&feature=emb_logo
- EMPATHY CHARADES: Tired of playing the same old games at home? Why not try a game of Empathy Charades!
- SPANISH: Dígalo con mímica de emociones:
- Now it’s that time again for you to be a hip-hop dancer and try out this fun Hip Hop Break Workout. Try out this super interactive HYPE Break Workout from Hip Hop Public Health featuring Iman Shumpert and the Ailey School Dancers. Try this at home and challenge yourself to “break it down”. Let’s stay fit in fun, cool ways!
- Where Do Fruits and Vegetables Grow? Check out the activity to learn more!
- Follow this activity up with fun nutrition and food education games!
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION:
- NATIONAL RESOURCE. AND EDUCATION TOOL. In honor of all those who have lost their lives at the hands of white supremacy, police brutality, and injustice.
FOOD & ENTERTAINMENT:
- Did you know that July is national ice cream month?! Test your knowledge of this delicious dairy treat with this fun quiz:
- What is better than chocolate? Chocolate and Peanut Butter! This recipe is so easy and that is the reason why I wanted to include it! It only takes 5 ingredients and anyone, practically any age can make it. Most Importantly, it’s really good and Steve approved! So join us to make Easy Peanut Butter Cups –
- See the link below for some interesting community engagement and skill building workshops for teens from The Lab Powered By K.A.E. “Join this virtual experience where you will be able to learn new skills in the media arts world as we dive into graphic design, videography photography and media marketing and advertising. Sessions will be held Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursday from 5:00PM – 6:30PM. We will be featuring special guests each week as we take you on an inside look into our world of creatives.
- More details & Registration link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeJ00M28utPpPRK1ATThkeiYG9Zro1kbKd3YHlwpyorxKnfKA/viewform
BACK TO SCHOOL RESOURCE:
- Broncos Back-To-School Bash Flyer – This event provides school supplies for students from K-12th grade on Saturday, July 25th, 2020 from 9:00-12:00 noon at Empower Field at Mile High Stadium! Please note, families are required to REGISTER IN ADVANCE!
- Keeping Kids Healthy, safe and socially connected is on everyone’s mind right now as we return back to school. Here are some resources that can hopefully educate and help as we make that transition.
SUMMER IN THE PARK PROGRAM IN NORTHEAST PARK HILL
- Join BGCMD at Skyland Park for free, outdoor fun throughout the month of July! Open to all kids and families, we’ll be offering programs ranging from yoga classes to outdoor games, to arts and crafts. Learn more and register at bgcmd.org/park.