- Thank you for joining us today as we read Super-Pets Showdown, written by Sarah Hines Stephens and illustrated by Art Baltazar. This action-packed book stars the underdog super-pet Proty, who learns that strength and speed aren’t always the most important traits when it comes to saving the day! We hope you enjoy these activities based on the book as well.
Take an AR quiz on this book at: https://hosted37.renlearn.com/2123879/
- We’re Going On a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen is a really fun book about a dad and his children who decide to go on a bear hunt. They encounter many obstacles and have to decide if they can go over, under or through the obstacle. You won’t believe what happens when they actually find a bear! Also please make sure to do the activities that are included to help you enjoy the book even more.
- Join Ms. Kerry from the Virginia Court Boys & Girls Club as she reads The Lion and the Little Red Bird by Elisa Kleven. In this story, an unlikely friendship forms between a small bird and a lion. While you’re listening to the story think about how these two animals communicate even though they don’t speak the same language. How can we show kindness and friendship without using language?
- 3…2…1… BLAST OFF!!! Have you ever wanted to make your own rocket? Well, with the permission and participation of your parents, click the link below for instructions on how to create your very own bottle rocket! The chemical reaction between baking soda and vinegar will produce carbon dioxide gas, which builds up and ultimately is released with enough force to cause thrust- launching your rocket into the sky. Be safe and have tons of fun with this project!!
- Practice your math skills with this dice game! Roll one die and write the number down. Then write down what numbers would be 10 more, 10 less, 1 more, and 1 less. You can use this worksheet or a blank piece of paper.
- The Puzzles to Print website, https://www.puzzles-to-print.com/, has a variety of fun puzzles to keep your mind challenged this summer! We challenge you to put your math skills to the test and complete this Math Crossword!
- Butterfly Origami
- 5-Minute Crafts:
- Bored? Looking for a fun craft? Check out the video below for 15 craft ideas that are quick and easy to complete! Grab a friend or family member and get crafting!
- Did you know you could make a gift box out of a toilet paper roll? Check out this fun craft you can do while reusing something you already have in the house! (also in Spanish)
- Last week we shared the Art History Kids Learning Library opportunity to sign up online to receive free weekly emails that include interactive, educational lesson plans, book recommendations, printables, and project ideas! (https://www.arthistorykids.com/newsletter). One of the activities featured this week was Quick & Easy Art Ideas for Kids! Check out some of the prompts and pick your favorite one to try this week!
- The Puzzles to Print website, https://www.puzzles-to-print.com/, has a variety of fun puzzles to keep your mind challenged this summer! Can you find all of the Famous Artists names in this word search?
HEALTH & OUTDOOR ED/PE:
- No time to go on a camping trip this weekend? How about an indoor camping experience. Click the links below to have a fun indoor camping experience. You will learn how to make a blanket fort in your living room, how to make S’mores using your microwave and how to make some lanterns for your camp with cans you would usually just throw away. Enjoy!
- Join Naturalist Fendi from Aurora’s Open Spaces and Natural Resources Division as she teaches us all about different animal and plant adaptations. Naturalist Fendi also shows us different skulls and pelts from animals right here in Aurora!
- Animal yoga poses video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SQREnZzVzSR8ypSq4r2xGr5lAJ14U4tc/view?usp=sharing
- Blurb: Try out these animal-inspired yoga poses! Learn to do cat, cow, butterfly, and cobra poses to help with strength and flexibility.
- Hawaii Volcanoes Virtual Tour: https://artsandculture.withgoogle.com/en-us/national-parks-service/hawaii-volcanoes/nahuku-lava-tube-tour
- Blurb: Ever been to Hawaii? This virtual tour of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park will take you on a crazy adventure to volcanoes, lava tubes, and more!
DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION:
- The Positive Coaching Alliance is amplifying voices from the Black community, sharing how sports have impacted their lives. Below are the videos of the five people they featured this week – they could be great conversation starters, especially for those who love sports.
- Marti Reed – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjyiLtPmrmo
- Monica Livingston – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd5M0uA7ryA
- Trennis Jones – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaNqFmuMsSs
- Dr. William Goodloe – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=360lj7khnao
- Val Whiting – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU_W_g2kyPo
- Black Lives Matter Conversations and Resources – Attached is a resource page the mental health team created to help guide conversations and activities with kids around race and BLM. It includes various resources including teaching videos, children’s books, and various adult learning options! https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JammWxFAV1tqloRzGTnyK4UXhly51DYF
- Most of you know why our nation celebrates the 4th of July. But what exactly is Juneteenth? Read this short article to discover more about this important part of our history: https://www.timeforkids.com/g34/celebrating-juneteenth/
FOOD & ENTERTAINMENT:
- Trail mix recipe: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y03WBTvruIpRBlRvjE4diLlxqEivhlJocQ1AY1sFbkk/edit?usp=sharing
- Blurb: Check out this graphic for instructions on how to make your own trail mix. Get creative and have fun coming up with different combos!
- Yay Summer! Yummy S’mores! – Steve & Shelly make very simple, yet very tasty s’mores to kick off the summer right!
- Are you a Summer reader? We are! Take this fun Kahoot quiz about several wonderful characters that you can find in some of our most beloved books!
- Want to play a FUN game? We played this game with our older members during LIVE programming and it was really fun! It’s called Drawize, it’s basically like pictionary – it’s very user friendly and you can have multiple players participate – Hope you enjoy it!
- Are you looking for a fun, socially distanced icebreaker, or a game you can spread out and play in the gym? Give this new version of Rock, Paper, Scissors a try – ‘I’m an Egg’ game.
- Attention High School Seniors! Looking for scholarship opportunities? CO-ALAS (Colorado Association of Latino/a Administrators and Superintendents) has a scholarship opportunity available, with a deadline of July 1, 2002. See application details below:
4th of JULY:
- In advance of the 4th of July next week, below are some activities you could do in the Clubs with kids, or post to your online platform:
- Sponge Painted American Flag – https://www.notimeforflashcards.com/2008/07/happy-fourth-of-july.html
- Coloring Pages – https://www.allkidsnetwork.com/coloring-pages/4th-of-july.html
- Word Search – https://www.puzzles-to-print.com/image-files/july-fourth-word-search.gif
- Salt Dough Magnets – https://www.allkidsnetwork.com/crafts/4th-of-july/4th-of-july-magnets.asp
- Word Scramble – https://www.puzzles-to-print.com/word-scrambles/july-fourth-word-scramble.shtml
- HandPrint Fireworks (maybe minus the glitter :)) – https://www.allkidsnetwork.com/crafts/4th-of-july/handprint-fireworks.asp
- Shaving Cream Fireworks – https://www.icanteachmychild.com/shaving-cream-fireworks/