Everything we do at the Clubs is designed to help low-income youth succeed. That’s why Club members consistently outperform their peers when it comes to school achievement, healthy choices and behaviors and civic engagement. In fact, the Boys & Girls Club model – based on positive youth development and driven by high-impact, targeted programs – has received the highest possible effectiveness rating from the National Dropout Prevention Center.
Boys & Girls Clubs help low-income kids succeed by ensuring that:
- Youth graduate prepared for college or career (Academic Success & Career Readiness)
- Youth take responsibility for their health and well-being (Healthy Lifestyles)
- Youth are good citizens, ready to serve and lead in their community (Character & Leadership)
On average, 2,000 youth each day benefit from key Boys & Girls Clubs services:
- Youth Development: Boys & Girls Club professionals help kids continue to learn and grow beyond the traditional classroom, by building relationships and providing support and guidance through key transitions and developmental milestones from elementary through high school.
- Family Support: We engage families and provide wrap-around support services to benefit the children we serve.
- Community Building: We work with youth, schools, neighbors, businesses, volunteers, families and other partner organizations to collectively improve the communities where our sites are located. View a list of our Community Partners »
The combination of the following characteristics makes Boys & Girls Clubs unique:
- Comprehensive: We focus on the needs and development of the whole child through services that are offered year-round, extending from the school day in to the evening, throughout the summer and during school breaks.
- Variety of Services: We offer a wide variety of services and programs to appeal to different ages, interests and needs of the youth. This variety exposes youth to new opportunities and makes it possible for kids to find their “spark” that ignites a passion for learning. By engaging youth in learning in one area, whether it is arts, robotics, soccer or gardening, staff can then teach skills and share important lessons that will transfer to other areas of learning.
- Proven: Intentional programming, evaluation and continuous improvement are essential to ensuring a positive impact. We know that regular attendees do better in school (attendance, behavior and coursework), make healthier choices than their peers and contribute thousands of hours of service to their community.
- Experts in our field: Our staff members engage in training throughout the year to ensure they are knowledgeable in youth development, the communities we serve, and best practices for helping kids succeed.
- Collaborative: We have a long history of collaborating with other agencies, schools and businesses in the community. These partnerships allow us to enhance our current programming, offer new programs for our members, share community resources, provide referrals to meet the needs of families, and increase the number of trained professionals and volunteers working in the Clubs with the youth.
- Innovative: We have the ability to quickly adopt new programs, provide new opportunities for youth, or develop partnerships and services based on specific needs. We are open to trying new things to benefit the kids.
- Responsive: Although we are nationally recognized, Boys & Girls Clubs is locally run – allowing every site to be responsive to the specific needs of the neighborhood and youth served. Clubs also support families to ensure the basic needs of the individual children are met – everything from meals to clothing to screenings to referrals.
- Serving kids who need us most: Our sites are intentionally located in resource-constrained neighborhoods, allowing us to bridge the opportunity gap that exists between lower-income and higher-income communities. Membership is just $2 per year and scholarships are available.