We have been helping young people in Denver make the most of their lives since 1961, when our first Club opened its doors to boys who needed a positive place to spend free time. Today, we serve both boys and girls in youth facilities located throughout the Denver Metro area.
Planning for the first Denver-area Boys Club began in 1937, when a group of local citizens decided young men in their community needed a positive place to spend free time.
The group, which included Judge J. Foster Symens, John W. Morey, Montgomery Dorsey, Allen R. Phipps, Hudson Moore, Quigg Newton, Jr., Judge Phillip Gilliam, Lewis E. Gelt and J. Churchill Owen, adopted bylaws, filed articles of incorporation, and began drawing up plans for a new building.
Unfortunately, World War II put the brakes on Denver’s first Boys Club. Many organizers joined the armed forces and were called to duty. Plans for the Club were put on hold. In 1955, Owen called on friends and members of the original 1937 group to put plans for a Boys Club back in motion.
The first club opened in 1961 in an old storage warehouse at 910 West 8th Avenue. Bill Cope, a Boys Club veteran who had started several Clubs in California, was brought in to get the Club up and running. It was far from luxurious, but boys immediately saw it as a good place to spend free time. With a budget of only $28,000 and just two full-time staff people, the Club recruited more than 800 members in its first year.
On September 12, 1990, the Boys Club became Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Denver.
Over the years, the organization has grown to serve the needs of a rapidly growing community. Today, Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Denver is focused on helping young people in the Denver Metro area make the most of their lives, while looking ahead to how best meet the needs of our community’s young people in the future.