Work at Gates Camp
Thank you for your interest in becoming a member of the Gates Camp family! The success of Gates Camp depends on the talent, dedication and experience of our staff. Each year, we invest a great deal of time and attention to hiring the best staff possible. For the Summer 2014 season, please email a cover letter and a resume to GatesCamp@bgcmd.org.
Heepwah! Our Camp word comes from a long tradition of having fun, making friends, and trying new things at Gates Camp. While at Gates Camp, our campers form a community in the mountains far away from the city and it’s urban pressures. Heepwah is used by everyone at Gates Camp to signify unity and fun.
Our goal at Gates Camp is simple: we want to provide a quality, fun, and safe camp experience for kids who otherwise would not have the opportunity to experience the outdoors. We want to give members of Boys & Girls Clubs of Metro Denver the chance to get away from inner-city life and escape to the mountains of Colorado to challenge themselves, connect with nature, build new friendships, and spend five days “just being a kid.” Working in this way with our youth also provides counselors the summer experience of a lifetime! Please keep reading for more information and to apply online.
- Every year, Gates Camp looks for motivated and hard-working individuals with a strong interest in working with inner-city youth.
- Staff members must be at least 19 years of age. Former camp experience or experience with special populations is helpful. Skills in our activity areas are also helpful. These include: rock climbing, high and low ropes courses, challenge initiatives, canoeing, fishing, archery, nature games, arts & crafts, and electives contingent upon staff interests and creativity. Persons who are interested should be willing and able to participate in all activity areas. A willingness to sing and play an instrument is also very helpful!
- Camp counselor staff earn $180 per week. The pay scale for other camp positions is based on experience. All camp positions include room and board. Internships are also available.
- Staff members must commit for 10 weeks. Staff training begins in May and camp ends the first week in August (official dates TBD).
- Staff members are on duty from Sunday at 3:30 p.m. to Friday at 7:30 p.m. each week. Staff members have weekends off and may stay at camp or leave the property.
Open Positions at Gates Camp
Gates Camp is now seeking applications for the following positions for the 2014 summer season.
- Assistant Camp Director
- Head Counselor
- Counselor and Activity Leader
- Camp Health Care Provider
- Head Cook
- Assistant Cook
For more information, or to apply for a position, please e-mail your resume and cover letter to GatesCamp@bgcmd.org.